Wednesday, January 26, 2011

To Party or Not to Party?




Up until about three days ago I scoffed at the idea of throwing a birthday party for a one year-old. It seemed like an excuse for adults to have a bash for other adults under the guise of a celebration for a babe. With Olive's 12-month mark swiftly approaching I've warmed a little to the thought of donning my party apron, whipping together a yummy-yet-wholesome beet cake (my childhood friend Jessica has promised to provide me with the recipe from her brother) with which Goonie can cover her face, and having over a slew of our Pittsburgh friends and family. Plus, the thought of entertaining a few guests is much more appealing since we'll be in the new apartment by then (I hope. I'm not convinced, however). Before I'd gotten to know a little one so well, I was under the impression that a 12 month-old would have no idea what was going on. Sure, she may not have a really clear understanding of why - celebrating the day of her birth - but I'm fully convinced that she'd appreciate the company and any new foods she can shovel into her curious craw. Rob is still in the dark as to my plans; I've only really told Nina about my newfound desire to be "that mom", and she couldn't have approved more wholeheartedly. She'll be there with bells on. So this is my unofficial invitation to the Olive Marigold Alice Cramer 1st Annual Birthday Free-for-All. And to any readers who were around me during the years from 2000-2003, you may recall that I don't take this sort of thing lightly. Some serious fun just might be had...

No comments:

Post a Comment