Saturday, January 15, 2011

It's Official

I'd waited to announce it until I was certain, but while I was out on a run at the end of December I decided that I'd run the Pittsburgh Marathon this May.  This will be my third marathon, and I'm really excited about running in Pittsburgh this year, having done Baltimore in '06 and '08.  I have the use of the Khorey's treadmill for training when outdoor conditions are less than prime, and four full months to dedicate to training well.  Like last time, I am running to raise funds to support my shoe habit.  Kidding.  No one would ever accuse me of having a shoe fetish.  In all seriousness, I am raising money to give to the recipient of the Michael C. Snyder Memorial Scholarship.  Mike was an old, very good friend of mine who passed away in the summer of 2005.  Because of his devotion to the Big Brothers/Big Sisters organization, his parents, Dave and Mary,  established the scholarship in his name to be rewarded to a high school senior in Frederick County, Maryland, who is active in the organization (whether they are a Big or Little Brother or Sister), demonstrates financial need, and plans on pursuing a degree in art and/or education.  I was involved in selecting the recipient two years ago, and it brought me so much joy to be able to help the recipient, Timothy Jones, pay for part of his college tuition.  I hope to raise $1,000 this year, so if you're interested in donating I will soon provide more information on how you can go about doing that. 
I just hope that Rob will be able to locate parking by the end of the race; as it usually takes me about 5 hours to run 26.2 miles, he's got a little more time.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Heather! You are a wonder! Three jobs, a small child, a home, a husband, your artwork. Now training. I guess it goes to show that we all make time for the things that we love and that are important to us. These are the things that makes our lives full and fun. I'll be thinking of you when I'm on my three mile run tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete