Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Library Night with the Khoreys

Alas, I got to spend very little time with my family today, as I was out of the house by 9, went to clean for nearly four hours at Judy's, the woman who took me on as her housekeeper, bless her heart. I popped back in on Rob and an ever-cheerful Goon and lunched with them, then was back out the door to do some pre-Khorey errands (including my first trip to the Google office; I needed to drop off Kellie's loaned copy of Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child to Mike since Google is much closer to me than their house. What a cool place! I took the elevator up to the 7th floor and found a bunch of 20-something computer genius ragamuffins playing in what appeared to be an arcade just past the reception desk. I did see the cubicles where work supposedly gets done, but Kellie's right - I don't feel one bit sorry for my brother-in-law having to go into work day after day in such an environment). When the kids got home from school today we began what is to become our Tuesday ritual: going to one of the Carnegie public libraries so the kids can do their homework, read, and bring home books. No doubt that part of this plan is to minimize the cost of books; Nina tends to blow through a novel in two days, and is forever in need of another to take its place, making the library the only economical choice. While the kids read and did homework I perused the knitting literature, ogling sweater patterns that were far too complicated; I put them back on the shelf for when I'm ready.
After the library we dined at LuLu's Noodles down the way - the very first restaurant I visited when I came to Pittsburgh in 2003 - a surprise for Kellie's 19th birthday. The Ryans took us there for a welcome dinner when we moved here in August, too, so I'm kind of fond of the place. I got a bath tub-sized bowl of ramen miso, with slices of fried bean curd and plump shiitake mushrooms floating in the hearty broth. Most of it came home with me. Alex, being adventurous, ordered duck lo mean and loved it, though claimed that it "hurt his heart". We capped off the evening as we like to do - with Razzy Fresh. I got home at 9, long after my sweet girl had gone to bed, but if I must spend an evening with folks other than family, I'm happy to do it with the Khoreys. I do love my job!

The accompanying pictures have little to do with the content of the post, but I know that some readers (i.e. my mom) glaze over when they see all of that text with nothing to back it up, so I give you more Buggy in her high chair, a glimpse of our oil and vinegar cabinet, and a delectable blood orange-and-chocolate muffin from Sustenance, a bakery at the Public Market. I scored this for free on Saturday when the folks who had Sarah, the baker, hold it for them while they shopped and never returned. Really, it's almost too pretty to eat, but we forced it down.




No comments:

Post a Comment