Saturday, December 3, 2011

It's Business Time

This morning I attended a small business workshop put on the the Pittsburgh chapter of SCORE. I was treated to four hours in an underheated (a clever ploy to keep us alert and awake, perhaps) classroom in the downtown YMCA, listening to presentations by gentlemen who are seasoned experts in the fields of marketing, litigation, taxes, and business planning. If I thought I'd be spending my Saturday morning doing such a thing about a month ago I would've scoffed at such a notion; right-brainers like myself have no business learning about cash flow Excel spreadsheets or debating whether or not to become an LLC - or do they? The fact is, these are the things I'd prefer to not think about, but I knew that it would be in my best interest to get as much coaching on the minutiae of running a small business as possible. Just a few weeks ago my boss-buddy, Larry, approached me with the idea of turning over his business to me. He wanted to scale down and be strictly an olive oil wholesaler. On the day he asked me I all but declined, but over the next couple of days the wheels began spinning in my head. I talked to Rob (who reminded me that our last name literally means "shopkeeper), he ran numbers: there seems to be little risk. Initially I thought of opening a storefront, something in which my customers have expressed interest for well over a year in supporting. I registered for the workshop, which was every bit as informative and comprehensive as the website promised, developed a Facebook page for the business, and am slowly scouting spaces for the eventual shop. In the meantime, however, I'll be able to transition into owning and running the business that I've been managing for the better part of a year while remaining in the familiar space at the Public Market. I'll ride out the winter there (which will be a struggle itself if last year was any indication), or longer if need be, until I'm ready and the ideal space is available. It's so interesting to me how, what began as a job I took in desperation when I wasn't finding work even as a telemarketer (though I knew when I first read the ad on Craigslist then went and met Larry and Kim, both of whom are now more like family than employers, that I'd be happy working there, at least for the short-term) grew into something I sort of adopted as my own and has suddenly ballooned into me owning a company. My ownership will go into effect December 26th, my Pop's birthday. When the store comes to fruition I will need a name; for the sake of ease and continuity at the market I'll keep the same name, Olio Fresca. The right name hasn't hit me yet, though I'm worried about using the word "Olive" for obvious reasons. Any thoughts?

1 comment: