Saturday, December 10, 2011

Berry, Buggy, Buck, Mills, Me


When two separate aspects of your life collide the results can be either disastrous or delightful. Today I enjoyed the latter.

While I was at work today I received a message that Buggy had been captivated by a little cd-sized book I'd picked up at a Tower Records in London (the only thing I saw fit to purchase while I was there, believe it or not). The little paperback mostly filled with text, so not a lot of imagery to hold her attention, which was the part that baffled Rob the most. She plucked it from the bookshelf and went to town, obviously drawn to some part of the book. After I got home I sat her down with a larger paperback biography filled with photographs (and a card in it from Gi-Gi with twenty dollars in it, to boot!), pointing out the members and saying their names. Shortly she was repeating most of their names - Michael Stipe, Peter Buck, and Bill Berry (this one was probably easiest as it sounds so much like blueberry. She also will point to him and say his name without any hints; it has to be the eyebrows). We're still working on Mike Mills, but I know she'll get there soon since she calls her uncle by that name, as well as her sock monkey, Monkey Mike (named for my late, great friend, Mike Snyder, a guy who loved a good sock monkey). For whatever reason she has a real interest in my favorite band, whether she knows that or not. This is one of the many things that makes raising a child so amazing. I'm feeling inspired to write and illustrate a children's book about R.E.M.. Mom, you can hold me to this task. There may or may not be a market for this sort of thing, but it would probably be the most enjoyable project I could ever do, and I have a feeling I know just the girl who'd want to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment