Monday, December 26, 2011

In Business

Yesterday I spoke too soon and rode out the remainder of the day with some residual flu nausea. Hardly any food for two days but now, with a pot of oatmeal and blueberries in my stomach, I'm back in the saddle. I'm busy doing multiple loads of laundry and preparing the house for some Maryland guests: Ben and his boyfriend, also named Rob (and shares my birthday), whom we've never met, so I'm very excited. There's so much more to be done this week, namely preparing for my first weekend as owner of Olio Fresca. I need to get myself to the bank to open an account, having decided to remain at the same bank for convenience, the fact that they're open on Saturdays, and I'd like to keep my business earnings separate from our family account just so things stay nice and neat. Then I need to link that account to the Square, the little smart phone attachment we've been using to accept credit card payments. It's really handy, but useless if the funds are being transferred into a nonexistent account. The business itself, all of the equipment that comprises the stand, has been paid for, just not the product, so I'm not by any means out of the hole. It'll be a few months, I imagine, before I start to make anything resembling a profit, but I'm looking forward to it. To make matters more exciting, I'll be toting Buggy in to work with me on Thursday and Friday since Rob had to pick up some more days at the aviary with much of the hospital staff being on vacation. Let's hope her demeanor, being cooped up in a Pack 'n Play without a proper nap, is such that people will be encouraged to buy and not the other way around.

Also, today is a special day because it's my father's birthday. He's the most wonderful man, and thankfully modeled to his kids what a good husband and father was, so my sister and I chose our husbands accordingly. He's kind, loving, patient, and calm, and never misses and opportunity to let his family know how much we mean to him. I'm sorry I'm not getting to spend the day with him, as I did for so many years, making the five-hour drive to my grandmother's house in North Carolina, happily singing along to the classic rock stations we'd tune into along the way, playing our game of naming the artist. I miss that today. What a terrific guy. I love you, Pop!

No comments:

Post a Comment