Saturday, December 10, 2011

Christmas Time

This time of year, by nature, is especially busy. I don't feel like I'm doing much to further that, but I'm barely finding time to update the blog. Though I love this time of year, I really don't do any decorating of my own, but I love when lights around the city start going up, and maybe I inherited this from my dad, but I adore the sound of Christmas carols, even when they're played prematurely in November. We're not particularly big on gifts, for economical reasons as well as the fact that I don't love that Christmas has become such a secular holiday. Rob reminds me of this when I mention how odd it would be if I got Hannukah presents, lit a menorah, and got all dreidel-happy this time of year, especially since I do not embrace the Jewish faith. Since the true meaning of Christmas seems to be all but lost on much of the mainstream - shunned or ridiculed, even - I prefer to keep our Christmases light on the frills and our budget uncompromised so that Olive can avoid being caught up in the "All I Want for Christmas" mentality that turns so many children into, well, you know. She may resent us for it one day, but she's still happily unaware of her entitlement (ha!).

There are paintings being done and more yet to finish and do, most of which are not Christmas gifts. Like this one I did for my friend Bryan, who will be embarking on Valentine's Day for a transatlantic row.
This will be auctioned off for a fundraiser for his trip to benefit veterans. Over the last four years I've become Bryan's personal artist, a role which I'm proud to fill. I've decided, too, to do some little paintings to put up in my stand - some little marketable pieces to help promote my art. For now I'm going to make them relevant to the business - olive grove landscapes mostly, then get some feedback from customers to see what other subjects might be an easy sales.



No comments:

Post a Comment