Thursday, May 5, 2011

Day at the Park

Today was a much-needed deviation from the normal wet and chilly weather. I was almostcomfortable in my t-shirt, but only if the air didn't move about too much. Olive and I biked over to our lovely (I not not use that word loosely; I really do find Highland Park one green, tree-filled, easy-on-the-eyes place) neighborhood park, but not before wheeling around and giving the oblivious driver of a Home Depot delivery truck a severe talking to for blowing through a stop sign without so much as glancing in our direction. He seemed to not realize that a sign was at the intersection, being too consumed by his delivery location on the opposite corner. I let him have it; I've been nudged before by a motor vehicle while on my bike when the the driver wasn't being as observant as one would hope, and I've let it go, but when Olive is riding with me I have very little patience for folks who aren't paying attention to others on the road. Hopefully next time he'll look.

Anyway, we met up with Kellie and the kids, who passed me on my final ascent to the park. The Highland Park Super Playground was a real treat for Olive, who was enthralled by the seemingly endless network of steps and passages. It will be fun when she's a little older and will be able to play with her cousins, but now she's most content exploring on her own - and by on her own I mean completely independent of anyone else. When I try to steer her to a better area or away from the street she pulls at my hand insistently, then wails if I pick her up. Such is our pattern with parks, I've noticed. Thank goodness for water fountains.











No comments:

Post a Comment