Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Oops, I Did It Again...

A few years ago (four, I think), I said I'd never work in a health food store again.  Remembering back, I don't recall there being a big factor in my deciding this; it was probably just out of realizing that those tend to be dead-end jobs that anyone could do, so there was no challenge and I was more up for challenges at the time.  Now, though, challenge isn't really the name of the game.  We're playing a new game called, "Keep Food in the Cupboard," so it was with great enthusiasm that I took an interview with the East End Food Co-Op.  It should be noted that a job at the EEFC was my first choice, even when we decided that we'd like to shoot for a move to Pittsburgh a year ago, so this isn't me lowering my standards like applying for a telemarketing job would be (this particular avenue was one of the many that I'd investigated, to no avail; the job market in Pittsburgh must be reserved for the university students who can be easily employed for a lower rate of pay, presumably).  I put in my application at the EEFC two weeks ago after I learned they were hiring.  I got discouraged when nearly two weeks had passed, and began advertising my services: art, piano, and guitar lessons, house-sitting, even dog-walking for $5/half hour outing.  I've never had such a hard time finding a job, but I think the root of my problem lies in the timing of our move, which coincided with college students' move-in dates, and they're all looking for jobs, too (and one of them probably got that gig at the Ethiopian restaurant).
So, just as I was about to send in head shots of Olive to Parents or Gerber and launch ourselves into the JonBenet Ramsey pageantry circuit, I got a call from the EEFC.  The interview went well, but I'll have to go in for a second one tomorrow, when the front end manager will be present.  It's bad that I can't remember the names of the two men who interviewed me; I used to be so good with names (though I'm sure if they'd told me, I'd still remember their birthdays), but I think they liked me.  They were at least impressed with my application and resume; I'm no health food store novice, that's for sure.  Plus, I got a free 16-ounce tea while I interviewed.  It seems like a really great place to work, I'd get a discount on food, and it's a 10-15-minute bikeride from our apartment.  Hopefully by the end of the week I'll know whether or not I'll be employed at the East End Food Co-Op, or if I'll go the Exploit-Your-Daughter route...let's hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment