Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Free Day at The Phipps (Strictly Eye Candy)

Though he looks skeptical (taking one for the team, wonderful husband that he is), he was actually pretty impressed.

Earlier in the week Kellie reminded me that, as part of a month of free events going on around Pittsburgh, today was free admission day at The Phipps Conservatory. Though she and the kids were unable to go, Rob, Olive and I decided to take advantage of the opportunity (after a much-needed morning of sleeping in till 9:45! Olive slept through the night, waking for a feeding at 6:30, then sleeping again for another three hours). We were so glad we knew about the free day at the Phipps; I'd never before been to a botanical garden, and even more exciting, had never seen the works of glass wonder artist Dale Chihuly in person. He has a permanent collection of work at the Phipps. Seriously, the guy is incredible, and to see his work up close was way cooler than seeing even the ceiling of Sistine Chapel (still dope to see, but Chihuly's spiraling, otherworldly, fruity-hued creations send my mind reeling. Maybe it's because I've worked in glass and can appreciate the intricacy of his pieces even more). It'd be cool to see him in the flesh one day...dig the eye patch!

Are you kidding me??? Glass? The yellow sculpture hangs from the ceiling of the atrium - truly a Chihuly sight to behold.
Other works are strategically interspersed throughout the gardens, fusing with the lush greenery.

We wound through the conservatory, room through room, marveling at the flora. My favorite room was the orchid room, with each variety of flower so perfect and complex. I took lots of pictures - I couldn't help myself. It was certainly time well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment