Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Music Together

This morning Olive and I attended our first Music Together class at the Center for the Arts in Shadyside. I'd signed us up for the wrong session - the babies only class which caters to infants eight months and younger, but I hadn't read the fine print. I took a chance and showed up at the mixed ages class, hoping there'd be room for us, and luckily there was. The instructor, Karen, had been highly recommended by the mother of one of my younger piano students, and I immediately knew that she'd be a good fit for us. There were seven or eight other families in the large room (which had a mirrored wall that beckoned to Olive for much of the hour), and most of the children were right around her age. She was easily the most active of the lot, buzzing around happily which, thankfully, was encouraged. Part of me wanted to rein her into my lap to sit quietly like the other children, but I knew she'd react negatively to the restraint, and moreover I knew that that wasn't what Karen expected me to do, so I left her alone to explore the classroom on her own, circling back to me whenever she felt inclined (I'd intervene only when her curiosity drove her to the contents of other peoples' purses and diaper bags). We were one of the only new families there, so I got the impression that the other kids were simply more familiar with the space and format of the class. We started out with a greeting song that will be sung at the beginning of each class, followed by a series of songs with claps or other hand motions. Farther into the hour a bin of small percussion instruments was brought out and we all got to experiment with them, creating a grand cacophony. Olive took a particular shine to a shaker that looked like an orange, and held onto it tightly when the time came to put them away. Another little girl, the oldest in the class at five or so, was outraged over this but Karen kindly explained that Olive had grown attached to the orange but would return it at the end of the class. Once class was over the girl quickly snatched the shaker and delivered it to the bin. I fear that my gal may not have made a friend in this girl over that incident, but I feel like Olive's pleasant demeanor will prevail and win her over in the end. We closed with the lights dimmed, and the children who had strayed from their parents made their way back. I so wanted to take pictures but didn't want to be that mother, so I'm trying to recreate the experience as best I can through words. After this first day I'm very encouraged; it's a great way for Olive to get to discover more about music, something she's always loved, meet and interact with other children, and for me to be around other parents, something I feel is very important. I was very impressed with the quality of the class, with Karen's methods and kind treatment of everyone, and the wholesome atmosphere. This is something Olive and I (and Rob, when he can make it) are going to really enjoy this fall!

1 comment: