Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Diaper Story

Real quick:

Today while making our weekly eBay ship-off at the post office (by the way, it's amazing what people will buy from you on that incredible site), the clerk, looking down at Buggy who was holding my hand, made this comment: "You're lucky you get to use Pampers and not diapers." HA! "Oh, sir," I began, "I do use diapers." He looked at me like I'd just told him that the package he'd just checked in for me contained Anthrax. "Does it cost you less money?" (probably assuming that I used a diaper service) "Sure. I wash each of them myself and don't really have to buy new ones." This was big news to this man. He said he remembered having to rinse out his baby brother's when he was a boy, and was probably thinking how times, blessedly, had changed, and there I was telling him that I was scraping and rinsing my own dear child's diapers each and every day of my own will! I guess it is one of those things that, when not used to it, cause many folks to turn up their noses in mild (or severe) disgust, but for me it gives me a tingling rush of excitement when I toss another soiled nappy into the bin or when I'm folding all the clean ones, all fluffy and warm from the dryer and thinking of all the chemicals and chlorine and Disney characters we're not putting on her bum. That and all the money we save by choosing cloth, but I wasn't going to go into all of that with the gentleman behind the counter.

No comments:

Post a Comment