Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Earth-Shattering News

I know this is of little consequence to most people, but when I read today that R.E.M., my longtime favorite band - my "spirit group", you could call them - announced that they were hanging up their hats as a band my head was reeling. Yes, it was bound to happen at some point, that much I knew, but I was so unprepared for such news. Everything has a way of balancing out. There I was, pleased as punch over the morning my girl and I had spent singing songs and banging away on drums, so when the news arrived I felt like I'd been sucker-punched. Bigtime. I was already disappointed that the band opted to not tour in the wake of their latest album released this past March, but I consoled myself with the knowledge that they'd take their show on the road in due time. Both of my parents are still using this tactic: "They'll do a reunion show!" But I'm not convinced. I've known this band a long time and they don't strike me as the sorts to rally like that, but who knows? I've been wrong before.

So suffice it to say that I am bummed. I called my parents' house after I found out and scared the pants off my mom when she answered the phone and, hearing my grief-riddled tone, got to thinking that seriously bad dealings had gone down on my end (conversely, when In Time, a best-of compilation was released in 2003 and I called her to express my fanatic praise of the record, her first thought was that I was calling to tell her I'd gotten engaged. Please!). I got home from a long evening at work and I got a sympathy call from my father, the man with whom I shared so much of their music, who took me to see them when I was only thirteen, and probably knows how this event affected me. He gets it because he feels the loss, too.

After polishing off a young coconut in a matter of minutes (including prep time!) and enjoying a tall glass of the delicious juice that Rob and I have been enjoying fresh nearly every day for the past three weeks (kale, apple, lemon, cucumber, carrot), I'm feeling a little bit better and am ready to proceed onward like a normal person. I remind myself that the world went through this when the Beatles disbanded, and on a much, much larger scale, but still. I absolutely adore these guys, but at least that much won't change.

Have a listen to one of my all-time favorite songs:

1 comment: