Tuesday, June 28, 2011

High-5

This is a time where Olive is picking up a lot of information quickly and responding to it with a greater degree of understanding. Though I was not here to witness this particular milestone, Olive said "cracker" over the weekend while I was either at work or teetering atop a 5-gallon bucket erecting deer fencing for our garden. I'm sure she'll utter the word again in my presence, though she hasn't yet. Sunday was fun because I tried teacher how to give a high-five in between shoveling spoonfuls of oatmeal into her mouth. She caught on with much fervor so now whenever a palm is raised she goes for it. Even better: she will grab an idle hand and place it in the appropriate stance for receiving her newly-learned hand gesture. She gets it. Rob is fond of sitting with her and a book in his lap - usually a Richard Scarry work, rife with busy and amusing imagery - and saying, "Where, where, where is the bug?" and waiting for her to point to the bug or whatever article he's chosen, and usually she will comply. Today she pointed to the donkey, shoe, rabbit, and bread I'd asked her to show me. Amazing.




No comments:

Post a Comment