Thursday, June 23, 2011

Summer Resolutions

Having just crossed off a major art project on my ever-growing list, I feel a lightness that I haven't felt in years. I can now guiltlessly proceed onto other endeavors whose fun hasn't yet been leeched by the sheer length of time in which they've been on that list. This is going here on my blog in an effort to keep me focused and accountable. Here goes:

1. Noah's Ark mural for the 3rd Presbyterian Church in Shadyside. Olive and I went and purchased $148 worth of gesso and paint for it today, and I've been given access to our old apartment to use as a studio.

2. The five "pay it forward" pieces I volunteered to do as part of a Facebook-fueled act of goodwill that was going round at the beginning of the year. I no longer spend much time on FB, thank goodness, but I've got to honor my promise to create and dole out five paintings to friends and friendly acquaintances. I should've written down all of the recipients because I'm not entirely sure of who they are anymore. Actually, I think four out of five of them are in Maine. Fortunately I have until the end of the year to do this.

3. Train for marathon #4 in October. I did a pretty lousy job of readying myself for the last one but feel like I've already adopted a more sensible regimen this month that should hopefully result in my best time. This is not of utmost import, mind you; as long as I feel as good as I did after the last one I'll be happy. Plus I'll be running on the home turf - always and added bonus.

4. Do a painting of my child. I've done ballpoint pen sketches of her numerous times and even lovingly labored for a week or two on this little number (the water-damaged sheet of Clayboard makes it unfit for professional use). I have a website coming out very soon and would like for the homepage to feature - at the wise suggestion of my boss, Larry - a portrait of the goon-girl.


5. Use my grandfather's sewing machine. I was given my grandfather's old machine that was used but once - to fashion some window treatments for his van. I love telling people this. Nina is attending a Sew Your Own Clothes camp next month at a nearby sewing studio and I'm eager to learn from her.

6. Reap the fruits of our garden. Beyond the bumper crop of mulberries from the tree there, a single green bean, and some lovely-looking radishes (I wish I didn't dislike them, but I do), there's not a whole lot going on - yet.

7. Work harder on keeping our house clean. I've hit a point in my life where I have a much lower tolerance for clutter and messiness. And filth. The cats appear to be going nowhere so I'm prepared to work around them, but that does not help us with our ant problem. For the past month or so, if the slightest trace remains of anything appealing to an ant, the countertops and floors will be swarming with them. Though we've been scrupulous about wiping down all surfaces with white vinegar, they still find reasons to flock. If they force us to stay vigilant about our housekeeping habits, I guess I shouldn't really look at that as a bad thing.

8. Successfully toilet train the cats. This item requires no further elaboration.

9. Save my pennies for a birthday bike. Since Olive is now of bike-riding age, we've noticed the need to up our family's bicycle count by one. I think it'd be nice to have a family bike and a commuter bike since I am all for biking to work - biking anywhere possible, for that matter. On several recent trips to the Trek store this beaut caught my eye and has been speaking to me, rather loudly, ever since. The Atwood is part of the the company's new Eco line and uses all recycled materials. This was good to know, because I was sold on it based on aesthetics alone. That slate blue frame and white rubber tires made me swoon. Next time I'm taking her for a test ride and if, for some fortunate reason, I have $500 to spare, it's going towards an early birthday gift to Rob and me.

10. Continue my fight to keep skin cancer and signs of age at bay. This may be vain of me, but I like the fact that I look a little bit younger than a lot of women my age that I've seen. While it's true that I'm all for not getting skin cancer, or cancer of any sort, it helps that protecting your skin will also reward you by having nicer skin than your tanning bed-and-cigarette-loving contemporaries. This summer I haven't left home without my wide-brimmed sun hat and large-framed vintage sunglasses that my great-grandmother gave me. Oh, and a hefty smear of SPF 30.

11. Go see Gillian Welch perform at the Strathmore in Bethesda, MD. I haven't seen her live since April '04 when I drove down to see her in Asheville. That had capped off a good run of seeing her nine times between 2003 and 2004 and I've suffered during the dry spell. She's releasing a new album at the end of the month and I'm excited to hear them play the new cuts. Whether or not I can make it is another question.

12. Go all Michelle Pfeiffer and deliver no nonsense tough love to a bunch of delinquent students. What's this? I'm going to be teaching art twice a week to inmates at the Allegheny County Jail. Pending my background check and official interview to be held sometime next week, I'm in the system. That I taught on an Indian reservation was my meal ticket; Rob's take on it: "Well, you already have experience teaching future criminals." True 'nuff.

13. Play a little more guitar. I've gotten away from it since Olive came to call, but it's nice to make time to make some music every now and then.

14. Successfully brew my own kombucha. A few quarts are fermenting on the kitchen counter right this moment. I just hope it'll be palatable.

15. Fill our wedding album. I've had the album itself - a gorgeous white leather-bound tome that was handmade in Latvia by a woman named Inga - for two years and had prints made several months ago. The only thing stopping me from placing them on the pages are the little corner tabs I can't seem to bring myself to buy. I'd do it next year but it might be nice to take on a simple task when some of the others are a little more daunting. Plus, Olive may one day enjoy leafing through the pages. Time to get on that.







No comments:

Post a Comment