Monday, May 21, 2012

Three Sweet Years

Who could resist saying "I do" to a man who salutes them?  Pas moi.

I can't say that three years ago today I married my best friend.  Looking back I realize how little I knew Rob and am amazed by my assuredness in committing myself to him for the rest of my life after having spent only a few short months getting to know him.  It was in that time that I was able to see the sort of person he was, though, and I was willing to see what unfolded from there based on just a glimpse.  He was always kind, fair, and optimistic.  He was straight-forward and honest and a matter-of-fact communicator.  It was never not easy to know where I stood with him.  He was brilliant but not a know-it-all, fascinating without being too enigmatic, talented but not arrogant, and quick-witted while still appreciating my own sense of humor.  Rob treated me like gold - and still does - even when I feel I don't deserve to be.  With a ravenous curiosity about everything around him and a constant interest in self-improvement, I knew without a doubt that he'd succeed as a husband, so I jumped in.  In the years since he's completely surprised and impressed me with his humility, work ethic, and gentle, loving nature.  As a father he is phenomenal and easily rivals the amazing Bruce Michael in that department.  Olive adores her Papa, and she's very fortunate to get to spend just as much time - if not more - with him as she does me.  I hope to look back on this three-year mark as I do the day we married, marveling at how much I thought I knew about this remarkable man but how little I did in relation.  I married him because I completely trusted that he would be my best friend and that was all I needed to know.

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Heather. I hope to be so lucky and blessed someday. :) Love to you both.

    ReplyDelete