Monday, May 31, 2010

14 Weeks, Memorial Day, and two weeks till Maine departure


We spent a gorgeous Memorial Day with friends on the deck at the being-renovated Blue Iris, our friend, Matt's, restaurant. There was lots of food - hot dogs, chicken, potato salads, pickled carrots (surprisingly delicious!), watermelon, and the pie that we, needless to say, brought. We always show up bearing apple pie. The sun beat down hard, and folks worried over the exposure to Olive's new baby skin. I kept her pretty well covered with a light blanket, but we get her out in the sun every day, so she's gotten a little less sensitive to it, I like to think. At the end of the day, her pudgy arms were a wee bit pink, but certainly not burned. She stayed awake for most of the gathering, enjoying the socialization and being passed around between a few of our childless friends, making them long for babies of their own - but only if they turn out just like her, the sweet thing. Sometimes I wonder how I was blessed with such a pleasant, good-natured child, but then I remember my mother telling me that I didn't get rotten till a few years later.

The packing continues to progress well. It's a strange feeling, this knowing that, two weeks from now, we'll be nearly to our destination, the four of us (plus two cats) packed tightly into the station wagon. We opted to forgo the U-Haul this time, waiting instead to store our belongings here and returning for them at the end of the summer. I'm glad that we're not waiting till the last minute with the packing; I'll be so happy when the 13th rolls around and we'll have everything organized in labeled boxes ready to load into the truck. Our living room is the holding space for all of the packed items and furniture. Aside from having our piano-moving lineup, I think we're just about ready...

No comments:

Post a Comment