Saturday, August 4, 2012

Goal-Hopping

So remember back when I said I was going to try to run fifty miles each month?  I totaled up my mileage for July and was delighted to see that I ran seventeen!  Only thirty-three miles short - not bad.  It's been tricky for me to fit in runs this summer because I've been busy living the life of a gal in her mid-twenties, it seems.  I've had a unusually active social life this summer, much to my delight, spending my evenings with what became a pretty tight bunch of pals (comprised of folks from the trivia team and then some).  A lovelier lot of folks I've not found anywhere, and boy, do these kids know how to cook some food!  Several of them (Conrad, Morgan, Alex, Joanna, Colin) are leaving Pittsburgh or have already left (Dylan - boo hiss), most of whom are pursuing higher education at esteemed universities, but a good many will remain.  Because of these friendships, my summer has flown by and I'm left scratching my head over my thwarted running goals.  I'll run when I'm older, I suppose. But till then, and beyond, perhaps, I've made the decision to swear off sugar.  I'm nearly through AJ Jacobs' Drop Dead Healthy on cd, to which I've been listening in my car for the past several weeks and, while I knew the harm that sugar presents to the standard American diet, hadn't yet willed myself to take that step (I did eliminate sugar for about a month three summers ago but don't recall how I felt during or after).  Fortunately this doesn't require any sort of a time commitment the way the running does, so I feel confident that this is a goal I can achieve with more success.

No comments:

Post a Comment