Monday, August 22, 2011

18 Months!

18 months seems like such a milestone in the life of a young person. She has suddenly transformed into a toddler - not so much a baby any longer. My Khorey kids arrived home on Saturday (while Rob and Olive and I were there picking up a load of laundry, in fact), and I've spent much of the last two days with them. They're all pretty amazed at the growth that took place during the four weeks they were gone; this morning Noah marveled at how she pointed to each person when I called out their names. I suggested she go play the piano and she pranced right over to tinkle away. These were things she most certainly was not doing prior to their trip. Last night the family celebrated Nina's twelfth birthday (it was on the 12th and most of her tight-knit family was unable to attend), and Olive and I were there to help celebrate. She seemed so glad to be back amongst that clan - particularly Granddad, Doug's father, who has always had a real fondness for the little gal, and she him. Nina and I watched delightedly when the two of them first locked eyes again - Granddad was outside by the grill and Olive was in the sunroom, but both of them lit up when they spied each other through the storm door. I've always been glad that she has another grandfather figure like this in her life; my father is fantastic, as everyone knows, and we're lucky to live only four breezy hours away and can see him far more often than we used to (thank goodness!), but it's always pained me that I never met my father-in-law and that Olive will never know her paternal grandfather. Having a local stand-in is certainly welcome. Not to mention all the other extended family members who treat me, the children's care-giver, like one of their own. I was really blessed to have fallen in which such a great lot of folks.





So I guess you could say that Olive and I piggybacked on Nina's birthday celebration with Olive's half-birthday falling the day after. It's hard to believe that she's only six months to two and halfway to three; it sounds like such a long way off but I know that it's not. I'm so excited to see everything that unfolds between now and then! She grows sweeter by the day. How I love my darling goon!

No comments:

Post a Comment