Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Bureau of Gardening

In anticipation of planting our first garden I started our seedlings in trays that cover the surface of our bedroom dresser. I'm going to build some shelves for the walls closest to our light-drenched southward-facing window to accommodate more cells of seeds since we've run out of room. Our kitchen windowsill is lined with little cups to host red russian kale, one of which has already seen a head pop through the soil.
What a little dear he is!

Last month I scored us two spaces in the Allegheny Cemetery Community Garden, just a mile and a half up the road from us. Though one of the plots has a tree, which will compromise growing space, it does happen to be a mulberry tree which will hopefully produce some tasty fruit later in the summer. I hope to see pies in our future! Next week I plan to get out there, Goonie on my back, in the garden itself and start working the soil to prepare for the seeds and jump-started seedlings.

Buggy has been down with a cold for the past three days, soaking through the fronts of countless shirts a day with her perpetual stream of drool from her tongue (she can't breathe through her nose). Poor little girl. She's still as gleeful as ever (I, on the other hand, have a less than optimistic attitude about my own cold). She's been chugging watered-down cranberry juice and stealing sections of my oranges to keep her fluid levels normal and combat the sickness with vitamin C. It's her third cold and they're no fun at all, but it'll pass like everything else.
That big handsome thing is Precious Junior, a rubber tree plant we got from a neighbor, Gloria. When Rob went to pick it up she told him the plant's name and snapped a photograph of him with it, presumably for her scrapbook.


Wee babe chiogga beets - the ones that look like bull's eyes when you slice them in half. I can hardly wait to eat them!

A Coeur di Bue tomato. So sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment