Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Our Favorite Meter Maid


Today we lunched with my old, dear pal, lovely Rita.  We hadn't seen one another since I left for Nashville, and that was four long years ago.  We'd done a good job keeping in touch, but had never been able to finagle a face-to-face meeting, as our trips to our parents' homes never seemed to coincide.  Rita had just returned from several months abroad for a summer program through Virginia Commonwealth University and, even though we never saw each other anyway, I missed her while she was in Europe.  We met five years ago while working at Roots Market, she as a cashier and I as a produce steward.  It was wonderful to see her again.  She is, easily, my most stunningly beautiful friend; people at work would judge her, jumping to the conclusion that she was a snob, but she's not in the least.  She's friendly, smart, down-to-earth, silly, and has excellent taste in music - all the makings of an all-around great person.  I'm lucky to know her.
 Post-lunch, Buggy and I went to check out a car seat-stroller combo that I'd found on craigslist for $25.  To my delight, it was in fantastic condition, and will make our trip next week a whole lot easier.  The zoo animal print in the car seat is really cute, too, and is clearly geared towards little boys, but is way better than some of the girl items I found on my search.  People have started giving me funny looks for dressing Olive in less than feminine clothes (like the yellow Alaska t-shirt and blue Thirsties diaper cover she wore today), as if they're puzzled as to why I'd dress my bald little girl in outfits that didn't scream out her gender in radiating pink.  And for the record, I really kind of like pink - in certain shades and measured doses - and agree that it looks pretty on Olive.  Just not all the time.  


No comments:

Post a Comment