Monday, July 5, 2010

Alaska Bound

Olive and I can take it no more.
I decided over the weekend that eight weeks without Rob was a heinous idea, and that measures need to be taken.  It's not going to be fun, and it's certainly not going to be pretty, this business of traveling sans husband or help beyond the borders of the Lower 48 (I wish I could apologize in advance to my fellow plane passengers en route from DC to Anchorage), but the end result will be well worth it: the three of us together again, crammed into the spartan confines of a '70-something Toyota camper on Ice Dock Road in Homer, Alaksa.  I can hardly wait.  
Tickets are surprising cheap for summertime fares.  I mean, isn't this the time when people go to Alaska, if they're going to go at all?  We'll go out for two weeks at the beginning of August, then travel back on the same day (though not on the same flight; that would set me back additional $300).

Oh, and it's been hotter'n hot sauce in Hades here this week, and only seems to be getting worse.  We're heading to North Carolina, which - so we hear from the folks down'air - isn't quite the oven it's been here this summer, and better still: Buggy and I are making a getaway to the mountains of Asheville for a sort of-midway meet-up with my old friend from Nashville, Krysta.  This promises to be heaps of fun, and a welcome respite from the oppressive heat...and should tide us over till we go the the land where "oppressive heat" is a mind-numbing 70 degrees.  

So, though it's still four weeks away, I feel like it will come faster than the last two weeks have gone by.  The end is in sight, and I have a few things to keep me going till then.  It will be so wonderful to see our beloved guy again!

No comments:

Post a Comment