Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Winding Down Visits

Yesterday was my last piano lesson with the Lamb girls in Jonesport. I'd been teaching Alayna and Isabel, 9 and 5, since September '08, and they were, by far, the best students I ever had, so it was a little tough to say goodbye. The family will be among those that we visit during our trips back to Maine. When the lessons were over, Olive was passed around from father to son to daughter. Aryc, their 4 year-old, was delighted to finally get to hold her, observing her on my lap adoringly for weeks while I taught his sisters. And while I never thought I'd be the sort of parent to start lining up potential sons-in-law before my daughter can even stand on her own, Aryc Lamb is a top contender. A four-year age difference will be nothing when they're in their mid-20s or so. My friend, Sam, is having a boy in September, so either one will do. Both boys come from quality stock. I'm aware of how quickly time passes, and before I know it, she'll be an adult and these may be concerns of hers, so it's never too soon to start looking around.Look at these two!
Isabel and Cuddly. That house has cuteness coming out of the woodwork.
After leaving the Lamb's, Olive and I hit Machiasport for dinner with Bruce and Romeo. Their rented home there is stunning, situated at the end of the road on a sprawling piece of land overlooking the bay. Romeo is a first-rate cook, and prepared for dinner ribs with roasted new potatoes and garlic, and lime corn (phenomenal), with watermelon and some of the best canteloupe I've ever tasted for dessert. We sat Olive in a wicker rocking chair beside us until she got too sad - the realization that I may have replaced her beloved father with a pair of unfamiliar older men. Bruce assured her that it was only dinner, but she was having none of it. She fed until she fell asleep, and we left shortly afterward. It was a wonderfully fulfilling, if not a touch sad, evening. I really am going to be sorry to leave so much of it here, as we've found such wonderful friends, and the surroundings - well, isn't that why anyone comes to Maine?
Iggy or Annie - not sure which.
Bradbury and Dolera-by-the-SeaRomeo doing what he does best.
Bruce approving of the spread. Or Olive.

No comments:

Post a Comment