Sunday, June 27, 2010

Seems Like Old Times

A party at Wanda's...

Talk about something I hadn't done in seven years, at least, and had no reason to think I'd ever do again. From 1999-2003 I worked as a cashier at Frederick's natural foods co-op, The Common Market. The bulk department manager, Wanda Marvel's, parties were legendary, drawing nearly every employee, their family members, and outside friends.
Last night I had plans to go into Frederick to purchase organic popcorn, nutritional yeast, and cat food for Che and Wendell, then go see some old friends from high school, then Nashville, play a cd release show. I called up my old friend Molly, a co-worker from Roots Market where she and I worked produce together, who lives in Frederick and now works at the Common Market. She invited me to go with her to Wanda's Summer Bash, and I gladly accepted.
The three of us drove together in my car, badly in need of a new motor (which translates to me, once again, being in need of a new car). The poor old Toyota wagon wouldn't make it up Wanda's steep driveway, so we parked it and got a ride from Wanda's youngest son, Glen, who happened to be coming home. At the party I saw many an old familiar face - some of whom I hadn't seen in nearly ten years. It was a wonderful reunion, and I was proud to introduce sweet Olive who, unfortunately, had gotten a bit cranky in the late day heat. I was just sorry that Rob wasn't there so he could meet a lot of my old cohorts from my co-op years, which were pleasant, indeed.
Olive was decked out in a vintage lace frock; my Aunt Jean had given me a bag of old clothes for her before she was born, and in it were countless frilly dresses, some of which were a little too frou-frou for our girl, but a lot I really loved - dresses made in the Philippines of soft lace and tiny, precise pintucks and smocking. Adorable. Having grown tired of her go-to outfits, I rifled through her suitcase and produced a lovely little ivory number with pale embroidered flowers. It was another hot one, and figured the lightweight woven cotton would be cooler than a knit material. In the more-feminine-than-usual dress and it being the 21st century where most Americans no longer dress their young boys in lace, save for christenings, maybe, I figured Olive would be a dead-ringer for a girl. But I kid you not - we still got at least three folks throwing around masculine pronouns as if he'd been wearing a little Redskins jersey. I have to wonder...Beating the heat on Wanda's lawn.
With the heat making Olive a little batty, I tried letting her experiment with ice, placing small bits on her tongue to help cool her. She was uncertain, holding out her tongue timidly to explore the new cold sensation. Later on, after I'd finished a watermelon slice, I decided to let her gum on the rind a bit. This pleased her to no end, her eyes wide with the excitement of the experience. I imagine that the cool, crisp wetness and the firm texture were a real treat when had for the first time.
Not able to successfully combat the heat, we left at nine, and opted to forgo the Judd and Maggie show that we were originally planning to attend. It had been an eventful enough night for the two of us, and home was the only place we wanted to go. And on our way back, passing through Frederick, I was treated to a fireworks display from the minor league baseball field, reminding me of the times when my mom and I would pull over onto the shoulder of the highway to watch them when was in high school.
All in all, it was one sweetly nostalgic night.
Buggy modeling one of her new old dresses. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment