Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Sad Goodbye

Today was the day that I'd been dreading since last summer: Rob's departure for Alaska.  He'll be gone for 55 days - twenty days longer than we were apart last summer, which was painfully long.  Fortunately, I'll have Olive to keep me busier than usual, not to mention a slew of concerts with my friend, Ben, a trip to North Carolina, a few more visits to Alpine Lake, and book illustrations to complete.  Put that way, it feels like I won't have enough time to get everything done...a recipe for blessedly rapid time passage!
We headed out around 11:30 to get to Reagan National Airport in time for their 1:45 flight.  It was a breezy drive and check-in, but after I broke down at security, I was in need of a pick-me-up.  Being in our nation's fine capital, there was only one place I knew to go to cure my Rob-sickness: Dolcezza.  
My old friend, Clara, introduced me to this unassuming gem on Wisconsin Avenue in Georgetown, five or six years ago.  It was life-altering, to say the least.  The variety of flavors and the freshness of their ingredients makes their Argentine gelato some of the best food on the planet.  Really.  Today I opted for a triple in a medium-sized cup: an old favorite, lemon opal basil, along with coconut dulce de leche and blackberries and cream.  The last was for Rob, a flavor I thought he might have picked if he'd been with me.  I sat, Olive strapped to my chest, in the sparse gelaterie, savoring the fine creations and smiling back at the other patrons who admired my sleeping angel.  

That there on the left - that's my lemon opal basil.  Heaven.

Behold!  Such decadent delights!
After the healing treat, we popped into the baby/maternity boutique that was near my car.  Baby boutiques aren't my bag, but we had time and I figured I'd give it a look-see.  It was typical Georgetown; the funniest part of my day was rifling through some of the little girls' clothes and seeing the price tags.  If a store is able to stay in business in that neck of the woods, it means that they have enough silly customers willing to shell out $78 on a dress for an infant.  I mean, I can see dropping $78 on a really great dress that I'll not only wear this month, but years down the road.  Call me crazy, but that kind of spending on a baby isn't good horse sense, but perhaps I'd feel differently if I was working on Capitol Hill.  As it stands, that kind of money - to me - is better spent across the street at Dolcezza.  
I just invested in an iSight webcam for my laptop for communicating with Rob from afar.  Hopefully it'll arrive in the mail soon.  I'm looking forward to his call in the wee hours of the morning when he arrives at his sister's house in Anchorage...
My sweet one, dreaming about her papa.


No comments:

Post a Comment