Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Holdin' on to Black Metal

Olive has some very clear preferences when it comes to music.  When we're in the car it's always, "Black Meddew (Metal)", so I play it.  It's track 6 off My Morning Jacket's 2011 album, Circuital, a pretty terrific collection of songs.  "Holdin' on to Black Metal" is one of the best cuts and was an instant favorite of Buggy's from the time I got a copy.  She'd bop in her carseat to the killer guitar-and-brass-driven beat.      It's now extending into the home.  At nap time today she requested it so I picked it out on the piano and sang for her; she seemed pleased.  This evening she demanded it so I cued it up on the computer, but once is never enough.  The moment the song ends - or even transitions into the song's bridge section - she's saying, "Listen Black Meddew!"  It's okay having this on repeat, especially when I think of some of the songs that play incessantly in the homes where children dwell.  The content may be questionable (five Lucifer references), but I'll take it over anything that plays on pop stations that insidiously capture the devotion of the 5-25 set.  MMJ is coming to Pittsburgh again in August so perhaps we can make it a true family affair.

1 comment:

  1. Grant calms down every time I put on Little Richard's "The Georgia Peach." Odd, since many of the songs involve the profound lyric, "WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

    ReplyDelete