Sunday, April 15, 2012

Marathon Stuff

As many of you know, in three weeks I'll be running my fourth marathon and am raising funds for the Michael C. Snyder Memorial Fund. My ultimate goal is to raise $1000, which would cover both scholarships that are awarded, though half of that, the amount of one of them, would also be terrific. "Who is this Michael C. Snyder and why should we care?," you might ask. Well, aside from the appeal of helping high schoolers go to college, here's a little bit of background information:

Mike and I had been close friends for about five years. This guy really knew how to be a friend to everyone he cared about, and it's probably what all of us remember best about him - his selflessness, his kindness, his always putting others first. He was honest, and funny, and uplifting. His character was impeccable, and he taught me a great deal about humanity. For my birthday one year he gave me a box filled with rare R.E.M. imports and bootlegs. It was, as anyone can imagine, the most treasured gift anyone has ever given me. Mike loved monkeys - some even called him "Monkey Mike". Olive has a sock monkey and a sock frog, both of whom she calls Monkey Mike, and it makes me smile every time she says their names. He and I had made plans to hang out when I returned home from a family vacation at the beach. While I was away I received a phone call from his father, Dave, who left a message asking me to call him back. This was unusual so I immediately called Mike but was unable to reach him. Immediately my heart sank. Despite his joyful demeanor, Mike had not had an easy life. Recent events for him - being hit by a car on his bicycle, and a horrible car accident that required facial reconstructive surgery, among other things - would have been traumatizing to anyone, but he weathered these unfortunate circumstances gracefully and with good cheer. I fearfully returned Dave's call and as his voice broke I knew his news was bad: Mike, his only child - adopted - had been working for the state highway, holding one of those two-sided signs directing traffic to stop or drive slowly. A driver neglected to stop and hit Mike, killing him. The news was heartbreaking to everyone who knew him in his large circle of friends and family.
Dave and Mary, his parents, sort of adopted all of Mike's friends and loved ones he left behind. Quamain, Mike's longtime Little Brother, is still very close with them, and I like to think that he's taken on a bit of the duties that Mike would've gladly performed as their son. Olive, Rob, and I got to visit Mary briefly while we were in Maryland, and I'm lucky to have these people in my life because I know they helped make Mike who he was.

So when I decided to put my affinity for marathon running to good use by running for charity, this was the first thing that came to mind. I know that it doesn't hit as close to home for some as large organizations like the American Cancer Society, but it means the most to me. If I can help others remember Mike through funding the scholarship established in his name then I'm honoring what an amazing friend he was to me and to many. And remembering my friend is what keeps me, busy with a family and a business to run and a second job, running to help do the work that he'd still be doing if he were alive.


No comments:

Post a Comment