Friday, July 8, 2011

Guitaring

I found myself with no plans this Friday night. Rob was working late at the zoo (though not an overnight - those aren't fun for either of us), Zoe went to her grandmother's, and I was enjoying Buggy's company playing a game of Run and Hug where she'd run off just out of sight and spin round and dash at me with open arms. She'll lessen the distance between us each time till she's mere inches from me before she turns to deliver the precious hug, nearly choking with laughter. It's a game I enjoy quite a bit. Her literary choice this evening, Good Night Moon (or Good Night Goon, as I like to refer to it) was a series of more affectionate gestures: she made sure to kiss each and every character as the pages were turned. How I love those sweet kisses she gives. She's pretty generous with the ones she gives us, too.

I had a mind to break out the old guitar tonight after hearing a live version of Springsteen's Thunder Road on the radio, and Katrina must've read my mind because she called to see if we (or I, rather) wanted to have a music night. She came over shortly afterward, we played with Olive who went to bed very easily after setting her up in her crib with some reading material (she's always been a bit of a book nut, but tonight they were especially tickling her fancy. She sat in the large rocking chair in the living room for nearly thirty minutes babbling over The Very Hungry Caterpillar). Kat and I prepared a simple-yet-delicious dinner of sautéed broccoli, green beans, snow peas, and onions over whole wheat rotini pasta, then got out guitars and my Beatles songbook to play and sing. She had me teach her a few basic chords since she's always wanted to learn guitar and it was kind of nice to be back in the role of guitar teacher again. We're looking forward to more music nights in the future - especially when she can bring along her saxophone and Rob can rock out on the trombone.

No comments:

Post a Comment