Saturday, March 31, 2012

Decompressing

It's going to take me a few days to come down from my experience at the Robert Mondavi Institute at UC Davis. I nearly cried when the course was drawing to a close and we were applauding everyone who made it possible. It's not that I developed close bonds with anyone there, but the intensity of the two days, paired with the fervor that continues to build within me over the ever-so-complex world of olive oil, my new and overwhelming love of Napa, Sonoma, and Yolo counties, and not seeing my sweet child since Tuesday morning just about put me over the edge. I kept it together, though, thanked the organizer, told him I hoped to be back next year, and beat a hasty retreat to my patient husband who was waiting by the curb in our Chevy Malibu rental after he'd spent the morning meandering through downtown Sacramento in the rain. Next time he can take the course with me. I can see that this is going to become a yearly trip for us, and we will definitely be bringing Olive. She's done pretty well at my parents' house, but I know she's a little mistrustful of us. I'm not expecting a a cheerful welcome when we return, and if there is then it'll be a pleasant surprise.

We're winding down with our last two days here, with only a few things on the agenda: a run for me, a wildflower walk, a visit to the Culinary Institute of America's Oleoteca, dinner at Zuzu, the tapas restaurant where we attempted to eat last night but the wait was too long, then San Francisco tomorrow.

I'm working on compiling a list of the most eye-opening things I learned in the UC Davis course and will post that soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment