Saturday, August 28, 2010

New Digs

We’re quickly learning our way around our new city.  Three days ago we scouted out our wireless internet source: the Borders bookstore just down the road, since we’ll be without landline and internet at our apartment till late next week (Verizon needs to do a lot to redeem themselves; I called last week to set up service at our new address, then called the morning before we moved to confirm that the order had gone through since a confirmation e-mail had not been sent.  Turns out, it hadn’t, so I went through it with them over the phone.  Yesterday while we sat at Borders I got a call from a Verizon rep saying that my order had not gone through - !!! - and we went through it all over again.  I don’t recall having this much difficulty in the past establishing phone service; it’s pretty basic stuff, but, as my mom always says, “People don’t know how to do their jobs.”)


Oh, and another thing: we’ve been without hot water since we arrived, which, in a way, is good, because we’re saving money by not having to use gas.  Fortunately, the cold water isn’t icy, so showering isn’t unbearable, just mildly unpleasant, and best taken after a run when its coolest is most appreciated.  After my quadricep muscles heal after my quick two-miler two nights ago, I plan to work a run into my daily routine, especially since Kellie and I are registered for the Pittsburgh Great Race 10K on September 26th.  


We’ve gotten to see Kellie and her family twice - on Wednesday night, after an exhausting day of errands at the East-End Co-Op (where I submitted a job application), Ikea, Lowes, Target, and retrieving a mattress and box spring set from a man named Bob, we met the Ryans for dinner at LuLu’s Noodles.  Jack, noticing a pattern with my visits, inquired whether I’d be coming to Pittsburgh again next year, to which Kellie relied, “They live here now!”  We saw them again yesterday when we drove across town to their house to deliver my mom’s van to my father who was in the city for a My Morning Jacket show with his old boss and his wife.  Gail, Rob, and I played dress up with infant bathing suits for hats (Gail can make anything look precious), and listened to The Land Before Time soundtrack while Jack narrated.  My father was delighted to see all of his grandchildren together, I’m sure.


This morning we got up and walked to one of the many farmers markets in our area.  I was surprised to see that it was an indoor market, but it was packed with vendors, and is open year-round - a big plus.  We stocked up on vegetables to make a soup later today - leeks, potatoes, butternut squash, carrots, and garlic, and got some green beans, peaches, honeycrisp apples, and some Indian lentil soup and chickpeas which we had for lunch.  I biked down to the co-op for some basmati rice and barley and spices for the soup.  It’s so wonderful to have most things within walking or biking distance!


Oh, and the weather here has been phenomenal since we arrived.  The days have been on the warm side, but are missing the oppressive humidity that plagued Maryland this summer.  Rain has come only at night, leaving the days sunny and cheerful.  Each morning I’ve woken up to see a bright blue sky out our bedroom window, despite the rumors that Pittsburgh has miserable weather.  It’s just not so.


Check out some of the houses on our street.  Pretty impressive, no?



Yesterday while brushing my teeth, Buggy seemed particularly interested, so Rob gave her one of her own and she immediately set to work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment